- Conducting claims in relation to a range of product cartels for leading businesses, including proceedings for a global business in connection with construction components.
- Advising claimants in Germany and Benelux regarding their damages action in the Dutch courts against several major elevator and escalator manufacturers for price fixing and market allocation.
- Advising leading steel producers on potential damages claims in connection with the graphite electrodes cartel.
- Acting for H. J. Banks and NALOO, a national association of open cast coal mining operators, in long-running proceedings against leading energy providers before the European Commission and ECJ relating to discriminatory pricing in the coal sector.
- Advising on state aid claims on behalf of a global equipment manufacturer in the mining sector in relation to the effective foreclosure of markets in Germany.
- Advising several major oil companies in respect of their damages claims in the High Court arising from the global marine hose cartel, including advising on the innovative global settlement of Parker ITR's liabilities.
- Acting for twelve major retailers in relation to claims against MasterCard concerning multilateral interchange fees.
- Acting for Asda in defending claims for damages and an injunction brought by the Parma Ham Trade Association. This case went to the Court of Appeal, House of Lords and ECJ. It attracted considerable press coverage and is a leading ruling in relation to the direct effect of EU legislation as well as the status of niche agricultural products protected by the Protected Designations of Origin ("PDO") designation.
- Acting for a leading UK dairy products manufacturer in relation to a PDO application subject to a review by DEFRA.
- Advising leading livestock/food producers on potential damages claims in connection with the vitamins cartel. Also advising on similar claims in the sugar industry.
- Advising in connection with parallel investigations by the US Department of Justice ("DOJ") and by the European Commission in the chemical sector. This included leading the defence team responding to a dawn raid by the European Commission and to the first application by the DOJ for disclosure in an antitrust case of documents held in the UK pursuant to the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty between the UK and the US.
- Leading the defence team for the dawn raid on the UK subsidiary of Akzo Nobel that resulted in the very high profile and ongoing ECJ proceedings brought by Akzo Nobel in relation to the extent of legal privilege, particularly for in-house lawyers.
- Acting for a leading global retailer in its campaign against resale price maintenance for OTC medicines, including multiple proceedings involving 18 of the leading global pharmaceutical manufacturers.
- Advising public authorities in responding to a European Commission infraction proceeding alleging infringement of EU procurement legislation arising from a PFI project worth over £1 billion.
Technology - Media - Telecoms
- Advising leading IT companies on potential damages claims affecting the software industry.
- Representing Asda Walmart in its high-profile campaign against the Net Book Agreement in the UK, including proceedings against the Publishers Association and leading publishers.
- Acting for a leading global telecoms provider in relation to a potential appeal to the Competition Appeal Tribunal and damages claim arising from an alleged margin squeeze by the dominant provider of wholesale Premiership football TV content.
- Acting for Pace, a leading global manufacturer of telecoms equipment which, in conjunction with BSkyB, successfully challenged a European Commission ruling in the ECJ.
- Acting for a number of leading car manufacturers regarding their damages claims in the High Court resulting from anti-competitive practices in the EU autoglass manufacturing sector.
Aviation / air freight
- Acting for a substantial group of shippers of freight by air concerning their damages claims in the High Court and Court of Appeal arising from the global air freight cartel against British Airways and others. Also advising on the £73.5 million settlement of cartel damages claims of UK and US purchasers of long haul air passenger services with British Airways and Virgin Atlantic.
- Advising on state aid claims in relation to an international shipping business with a £50 million exposure.
If you require immediate assistance please call a switchboard number above, alternatively email the Competition Litigation team providing a phone number and summary of your enquiry and we'll get back to you.