Partner in the Commercial Litigation Department, Stewarts Law LLP
"We need to operate our businesses on a culture of "no surprises". Kate fought and won a major piece of litigation delivering an outstanding result in a seamless, cost effective, least disruptive manner. She goes the extra mile, is a highly effective litigator and is always there when you need her."
(Chief Operating Officer, Major Corporate Client)
"Kate is a first class litigator. She is knowledgeable, practical and manages litigation superbly, inspiring confidence in clients and Counsel. She is an astute tactician; her excellent grasp of the client's commercial objectives help her to stay one step ahead of the game. She is tenacious, proactive and commercial in her approach, unflappable under pressure and she gets results. She is also extremely charming and great fun to work with. In short, you want Kate on your side."
A commercial litigator with many years experience in a wide variety of complex, high-value commercial disputes both in the UK and overseas. Kate increasingly specialises in competition litigation, with an emphasis on cartel damages claims. Much of her work is confidential, involving pursuing and resolving cartel damages claims for major businesses.
Kate's representative cases include:
- Acting for major UK retailers in multi-billion pound claims against MasterCard and Visa.
- Successfully obtaining and executing injunctive relief for the recovery and return of highly confidential price sensitive market data worth approximately £300million for the trading arm of a leading European utility company.
- Acting for Hotel Cipriani in bringing a major claim for trademark infringement (including successfully defending the claim in the Court of Appeal and achieving the largest ever award of damages for a case of this type).
- Acting for a major oil company in successfully defending at trial a claim relating to the supply of allegedly defective oil.
- Successfully mediating a multi-million pound claim against one of the largest chemical companies in the world in relation to the discolouration of UPVC products.
- Acting for a US corporate in bringing a multi-million pound claim relating to the failure of critical items of plant, which caused two power stations to shut down.
Kate trained at Travers Smith in London. She joined Wragge and Co's Dispute Resolution Group in 1999, moving to join the Commercial Dispute Resolution team at Walker Morris in Leeds in 2006. Kate joined Stewarts Law in March 2011 and was made a partner in May 2012.
AIJA (International Association of Young Lawyers)
Kate enjoys skiing and fell-running.
25 September 2015
Leading Regional Business Information website for Yorkshire, TheBusinessDesk.com, have featured our top-tier Commercial and Competition Litigation departments