We act for parties involved in data and cybersecurity disputes. We also advise clients on complex data subject access requests.
Our team conducts matters in the UK and throughout the world. In addition, it coordinates multi-jurisdictional disputes with foreign law firms and specialists.
Our lawyers’ experience includes advising and representing clients involved in:
- Data breaches;
- Incident responses;
- Data breach reporting;
- Complaints to the Information Commissioner’s Office;
- Hacking issues;
- Regulatory investigations;
- The “right to be forgotten”, particularly in relation to search engines and other publishers;
- Exercising exemptions from some of the rights and obligations in UK data protection legislation, including with regard to media organisations;
- Enforcement matters;
- Individual and group litigation actions in the civil courts; and
- The processing of data subject access requests, often as part of litigation.
We have unrivalled experience in putting together innovative costs arrangements. The use of third party funding, after-the-event insurance and risk-sharing fee agreements enable our clients to manage risk and litigate from a position of financial strength.
"We find them excellent in terms of their tactical and strategic approach to running the case"Chambers
"They work hand in glove with you and can compete with the big firms"Chambers
"Stewarts has a go-to commercial litigation practice with strength in a number of fields"The Legal 500
Meet our Media Disputes team
Our team are experts in the media sector.
We deal with matters in the UK courts and in foreign jurisdictions, as well as in relation to complaints made to UK regulators.