Alex is experienced in all forms of major commercial disputes, often with an international element, including disputes in private equity, investment mismanagement, fraud, data and cyber security, asset recovery, insurance recovery and regulatory enforcement. Alex has significant experience of most types of UK regulatory enforcement disputes, particularly in the financial services, pharmaceuticals and tech sectors. In the last year, he acted successfully for the defendant in one of the UK’s biggest data breach claims and separately recovered US$60m from several insurance companies in a political risk London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) insurance coverage arbitration.
- Recovery of US$60m in an LICA insurance arbitration on behalf of a defence manufacturer
- Successful defence of the world’s largest fund management company in a US$70m earn out dispute opposite a New York hedge fund
- Successful defence of several directors in the collapse of British Seafoods Plc
- Successful defence of a FTSE 100 pharmaceutical company on a US$3.5bn indemnity claim
- Successfully obtained and enforced injunctions in Honk Kong in aid of a Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) arbitration relating to the format rights of the most watched television programme in history
- Successful defence of the world’s largest electronics manufacture on several anti-trust claims
- Successfully acted for world’s largest financial institution on a 100% recovery relating to an international “Ponzi” scheme
Alex has long been ranked in most UK directories as one of the UK’s best known and most capable litigation lawyers. As one of the UK’s first solicitor advocates, he is known for his advocacy and sound strategic and pragmatic judgment.
Having started life at the Bar in 1991, Alex was one the first ever solicitor advocates. He joined a UK leading City firm in 1995, becoming partner in 2001 and head of litigation in 2012. He has since then been UK head of litigation at two of the world’s leading global law firms headquartered in the US.
Publications and Media
Alex has written extensively on a range of disputes related issues and regularly speaks with the media, including for Bloomberg, FT, ESG Investor and legal trade titles.
Alex is a keen sports fan and follows Premier League soccer, rugby and boxing.