Barrington represents sports professionals to resolve complex, high-profile sports-related disputes.
Barrington is experienced in investigating cases involving football clubs, the Premier League, English Football League and the Professional Footballers’ Association in recovering large sums of financial compensation on behalf of professional football players.
Barrington also represents professional Rugby players in sports disputes cases involving rugby clubs, the Rugby Football Union and the Rugby Players Association.
Barrington has acted on a number of complex sports injury cases for current and former football and rugby players, including:
- Acting for a Premier League footballer in relation to a claim against his surgeon in respect of a meniscus tear and knee surgery;
- Acting for a Premier League footballer in relation to a claim against his club for failure to provide adequate rehabilitation;
- Acting for a Premier League footballer in relation to a career-ending Achilles rupture;
- Acting for a Championship footballer in a claim against his surgeon following a fibular repair;
- Acting for a Premier League footballer in relation to ACL reconstruction surgery;
- Acting for a Premier League footballer in relation to an on-the-pitch knee ligament injury;
- Acting for an international footballer in a claim against his former club in relation to rehabilitation of a hip injury;
- Acting for an EFL footballer in relation to delayed diagnosis of a knee infection following injury;
- Acting for a Premier League footballer in a career-ending injury claim relating to mental health;
- Acting for a Premier League youth academy player in respect of a spinal injury;
- Acting for Premiership rugby players for failures to manage head injuries following concussion;
- Acting for a Premiership rugby player in relation to a claim against his club for failure to provide adequate rehabilitation.
Barrington co-leads the Stewarts’ Sports Disputes team.
Barrington has a special interest in sports injury claims. He represents professional footballers and other sports professionals who have suffered a serious or career-ending injury.
Barrington works closely with the sports-related tax litigation team to assist professional footballers and other sports professionals with image rights and tax disputes with HMRC, from enquiry stage through to Tax Tribunal appeals.
Barrington is an Official Ambassador for West Ham United Foundation.
Barrington has been appointed to the Advisory Council at Football For Peace.
Barrington qualified as a solicitor in 2016.
Barrington joined Stewarts in London in 2018, was made an associate in 2019 and senior associate in 2021.
Barrington leads the sports injury team at Stewarts.
Barrington spends his time between London and the Midlands.