Marco’s expertise focuses on complex and high-value international arbitrations. He has experience representing claimants and respondents (including states) in commercial and investment treaty arbitrations under the rules of the major arbitral institutions (such as ICSID and ICC), as well as in ad hoc arbitrations (including under the UNCITRAL Rules). These arbitrations have covered disputes in a variety of sectors including financial markets, mining, infrastructure, shipping, agriculture and food industry, aviation and construction. His experience also covers arbitration-related litigation before the English courts such as enforcement of arbitral awards.
Marco’s practice is almost entirely international and he has advised multinational corporates, investors, HNWIs and governments.
In addition to English, Marco is also fluent in Spanish and Italian.
- Representing two Central American investors against one of Latin America’s largest countries in a US$400 + million treaty claim.
- Representing a UK national in a multimillion US$200 + million investment treaty arbitration against a Latin American state.
- Representing a Caribbean state in an investment treaty arbitration involving a claim brought by a five-star hotel resort developer.
- Representing an Eastern European state in an investment treaty arbitration involving a claim arising out of legislation intended to address Swiss franc-indexed loans extended by the claimants and other banks.
- Representing a Swiss company in an ICSID annulment proceeding involving issues of expropriation and bilateral investment treaties related to the energy and petrochemical industries.
- Representing a Chilean company in a breach of contract claim against a Scandinavian company in an ICC arbitration.
- Representing a US manufacturer within the aviation industry in respect of a contractual dispute (ad hoc arbitration) with a UK customer as to a disputed pricing mechanism.
- Representing a European government resisting enforcement proceedings before the English High Court of an award obtained by an investor under an intra-EU bilateral investment treaty.
- Advising investors in Europe, the Americas and Asia on restructuring their businesses under relevant investment treaties.
Marco worked for five years as a transactional lawyer at a top-tier law firm in Mexico. He moved to the UK in 2019 to pursue an LLM at the University of Cambridge and focus on international arbitration.
Before joining Stewarts, Marco worked at London-based firm Volterra Fietta.
Marco is admitted to practice in England & Wales and Mexico.
Accreditations and Memberships
- London Very Young Arbitration Practitioners’ Group
- LCIA’s Young International Arbitration Group
- ICC YAF
- Young ICSID
Marco was born and raised in Mexico and has also spent some years in Italy and Spain.
He loves living in London and trying new cuisines. When time allows, you will find him visiting one of London’s parks, attending a musical or simply going to his local wine shop.