Stewart has significant experience of bringing complex maximum severity claims in the High Court in London. He acts for individuals in a variety of cases including spinal, brain injury, birth injury, amputation, psychiatric, fatal and delay in diagnosis of severe sepsis cases.
Stewart is a key member of the clinical negligence team that is ranked as Tier 1 in The Legal 500.
Matters in which Stewart has acted include securing a seven-figure compensation award for an individual who sustained a spinal cord injury due to a delay in diagnoses of a tumour. Other successful high-value settlements include cases involving cerebral palsy caused during birth, brain injury following routine surgery and a fatal claim involving substandard mental health treatment.
Stewart’s recent settlements include:
- Securing £3.75m for a lawyer left paraplegic after spinal infection misdiagnosed as lung cancer – click here.
- Securing £4.3m for a 31 year old man who acquired blindness following a delay in treating a cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST), which caused raised intracranial pressure. See here for further information – click here.
- Securing a £2m settlement following failure by paramedics to immobilise spine – click here.
- Securing £1.3m for a 59 year old woman for delay in diagnosis and treatment of Cauda Equina Syndrome resulting in severe right foot drop. See here for further information – click here.
- Securing £1.4m for a 36 year old mother of two for delay in diagnosis of sepsis, which caused septic shock and multiple organ failure. See here for further information – click here.
- Securing £2.4m for a 65 year old retired IT consultant who became tetraplegic due to a delay in diagnosis of a cervical spine abscess. See here for further information – click here.
After obtaining a distinction in the Legal Practice Course, Stewart began his training contact at Blake Morgan LLP in 2008. He qualified in 2010 and began his career in healthcare regulation acting for the General Medical Counsel in relation to competence and misconduct hearings, before going on to specialise in clinical negligence claims. He joined the clinical negligence team at Stewarts in 2013, became an associate in 2016 and was promoted to Senior Associate in 2019.
Accreditations and Memberships
Stewart is an Accredited Senior Litigator of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL). He is also a member of the charity Action against Medical Accidents (AvMA).
Stewart has contributed to APIL’s PI Focus publication on several occasions including sharing case studies.
Stewart enjoys outdoor activities and sports including football, golf, cycling and skiing. Stewart raised over £2,000 for the Back Up Trust by cycling from London to Paris as part of a team including hand cyclists.
"Thank you endlessly for your support through this process, we were initially very apprehensive about entering the legal world and you have made it accessible and have been extremely reassuring and personable the whole way."A client
"I know that ‘thank you’ doesn’t really cut it with something of this magnitude, but I’m going to say it anyway. Thank you. You have been absolutely fantastic all the way through, and I really could not be more grateful for everything you’ve done."A client