Stewart has significant experience of bringing complex maximum severity claims in the High Court in London. He acts for individuals in a variety of cases including spinal, brain injury, birth injury, amputation, psychiatric, fatal and delay in diagnosis of severe sepsis cases.
Stewart is a key member of the clinical negligence team that is ranked as Tier 1 in The Legal 500.
Matters in which Stewart has acted include securing a seven-figure compensation award for an individual who suffered a spinal cord injury due to a delay in diagnoses of a tumour. Other successful high-value settlements include cases involving cerebral palsy caused during birth, brain injury following routine surgery and a fatal claim involving substandard mental health treatment.
Stewart’s recent settlements include:
- Securing £4.3m for a 31 year old man who suffered blindness caused by a delay in treating a cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST), which caused raised intracranial pressure. See here for further information – click here.
- Securing £1.3m for a 59 year old woman for delay in diagnosis and treatment of Cauda Equina Syndrome resulting in severe right foot drop. See here for further information – click here.
- Securing £1.4m for a 36 year old mother of two for delay in diagnosis of sepsis, which caused septic shock and multiple organ failure. See here for further information – click here.
- Securing £2.75m for a 56 year old man who suffered paraplegia as a result of a delay in diagnosis of a spinal lymphoma. See here for further information – click here.
- Securing £2.4m for a 65 year old retired IT consultant who suffered tetraplegia due to a delay in diagnosis of a cervical spine abscess. See here for further information – click here.
After obtaining a distinction in the Legal Practice Course, Stewart began his training contact at Blake Morgan LLP in 2008. He qualified in 2010 and began his career in healthcare regulation acting for the General Medical Counsel in relation to competence and misconduct hearings, before going on to specialise in clinical negligence claims. He joined the clinical negligence team at Stewarts in 2013, became an associate in 2016 and was promoted to Senior Associate in 2019.
Accreditations and Memberships
Stewart is an Accredited Senior Litigator of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL). He is also a member of the charity Action against Medical Accidents (AvMA).
Stewart has had an article published in the Solicitors Journal Young Lawyer.
Stewart enjoys outdoor activities and sports including football, golf, cycling and skiing.
"Thank you endlessly for your support through this process, we were initially very apprehensive about entering the legal world and you have made it accessible and have been extremely reassuring and personable the whole way."A client