Tom advises clients at all stages of investigation, from interviews with the police, SFO, FCA, NCA or HMRC, through to trial, sentencing and appeal.
Tom also advises both companies and professional firms on their policies and procedures, compliance with HMRC and FCA rules and guidance, sanctions and changes in law.
- Alstom: representing an individual charged with offences resulting from the long-running SFO international corruption and bribery investigation
- Insider trading: successful defence of the main trader in the largest insider dealing trial ever prosecuted by the FCA
- The ‘London Whale’: DOJ/SEC/FCA investigations into the JP Morgan Chief Investment Office trading losses
- Operation Elveden: investigation into corruption at News International Publications
- Weavering: the UK’s largest hedge fund fraud brought by the SFO, involving complex strategies of interest rate swaps
- Cum-ex investigations: representing an individual and four companies under investigation in Germany for alleged involvement in a £1.7bn tax fraud against the Danish tax authorities
- Acting for a management receiver in respect of assets in excess of £80m
Tom joined Stewarts in 2020, after spending eight years at Byrne and Partners LLP.
Accreditations and memberships
Tom is a member of the Young Fraud Lawyers Association.
Publications and media
Articles by Tom have been published by Bloomberg, Lawyer Monthly and LexisNexis.
Tom is a keen cyclist, enjoys wild swimming, and is the very proud owner of a Bedlington Terrier called Fred.