- We represented the Algerian state oil company in its application to set aside a $535m ICC award.
- We represented the minority shareholder of an AIM listed plc active in the African mining industry. The client was victim of a campaign by the majority shareholder to take the value of its shares.
- We acted for Kenblest, Kenya’s largest bread producer, in two separate actions against European bread plant suppliers.
- We acted in arbitration proceedings in relation to a political risk insurance policy covering a cross-border oil pipeline in Africa, its coverage and the response to an alleged expropriation by the government of one of the countries in which the insured risk was situated.
- We regularly advise on investor-state issues in Africa under bilateral investment treaties and concession agreements.
Read more about our Commercial Litigation team here.
- We acted on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria in a $1.3bn recoveries action against the former President of Nigeria, Sani Abacha.
- We represent the former directors and shareholders of Imperial Bank in relation to the biggest banking collapse in the history of Africa.
- We acted in relation to tracing and recovering funds concerning the diverted sale proceeds of a national mobile Nigerian telecoms company.
- We advised in the Soma Oil case concerning bribery and corruption allegations relating to the acquisition of oil exploration and production contracts in Somalia.
Read more about our Fraud team here.
- We were instructed by the family of a gold miner working in Egypt on the family’s claims for compensation under international conventions following his death on EgyptAir Flight MS-804.
- We were instructed by the families of all 13 South African victims and one Zimbabwean/UK victim on their claims for compensation arising out of Afriqiyah Airways Flight 771, an international flight from South Africa to Libya.
- We were instructed by the family of a tourist killed in Tanzania during a safari flight. Our Aviation team has been instructed numerous times in relation to accidents involving bush flying operations and the particular difficulties that arise with bush flying in Africa.
Read more about our Aviation team here.
- We acted for two Australian nationals who sustained injuries in a serious safari jeep crash in the Nakaru National Park, Kenya, in 2015.
- We acted for six claimants, of various nationalities, who were injured in a road traffic accident in Morocco when the minibus they were travelling in overturned.
- We acted for the relatives of a British tourist who died in a quad-biking accident in Morocco in a claim against holiday company Virgin Limited Edition and its owner, Sir Richard Branson.
Read more about our International Injury team here.
Divorce and Family
- We have particular expertise in cases with an international element since many of our clients have connections to multiple jurisdictions, including across Africa. In international cases, family situations often develop that require immediate and urgent action; knowledge, experience and the ability to act swiftly can often be critical to the outcome of a case. Our large and vastly experienced team, of whom six partners are fellows of the International Academy of Family Lawyers, is ideally placed to deal with the most complex of cases, whether these involve the resolution of financial claims on divorce, the international relocation of children, applications to the English Court for financial settlement following divorce proceedings overseas, or jurisdiction disputes. We offer a fast turnaround and a supportive approach to our clients, irrespective of where they are based. We have an extensive global network, and work closely with our affiliates across the globe with speed and efficiency, with the aim of achieving the best possible outcome for our clients.
- On the non-contentious side, we regularly act for parties entering into marital agreements to protect their assets in the event of relationship breakdown. For global families either based in or with connections to the UK, it will often be sensible to put in place pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements in different countries. We have the requisite expertise to advise on how to implement these agreements, taking into consideration the impact of any country-specific laws and where necessary co-ordinating with lawyers in other jurisdictions with whom we have long-standing and strategic partnerships. Our aim is to protect our clients’ property and interests wherever they are located and ensure that future litigation can be avoided.
Read more about our Divorce and Family team here.
"I found them to be first class. Their knowledge is excellent"
"Because they are litigation only they are more focused on getting results for their clients"
"They are certainly innovative in the way they litigate"