In the event of natural catastrophes such as floods, earthquakes and hurricanes, or man-made disasters including fires, explosions, mechanical breakdowns or workplace accidents, policyholders often face considerable first-party losses. We assist policyholders to recover the full extent of their covered loss under their insurance policies, including reinstatement or replacement costs of lost or damaged property; and consequential loss, including business interruption.
Our expertise covers complex and catastrophic losses in the heavy industry, manufacturing, construction and energy sectors, often involving multiple parties, insurers/reinsurers and jurisdictions.
- Advising a Saudi petrochemical joint venture company in relation to coverage of property and business interruption losses estimated at $160m flowing from a cracked engine turbine
- Representing an educational institution in relation to significant property damage arising from the controlled explosion of a second world war bomb
- Advising on coverage of a $250m claim arising from a catastrophic explosion at a petrochemical processing plant in the Gulf of Thailand
- Advising on coverage of a $30m property and business interruption loss arising from a defective wind turbine supplied by a Danish manufacturer to an operator in Southeast Asia
- Acting in a $150m coverage dispute over widespread property damage caused by the 2010 ‘red shirt’ riots in Bangkok, involving political violence and all risks policies
- Representing multinational automotive and technology manufacturers in claims valued at more than $700m arising from the catastrophic 2011 Thai floods.
Meet the Policyholder Disputes team
Our lawyers act exclusively for policyholders in high-value, complex insurance disputes.
The team has experience acting for local and multinational clients in a broad range of sectors.