We have an outstanding reputation in handling professional negligence claims arising out of negligent tax advice. Our expert team comprises former HMRC solicitors, former Big Four tax litigators, a former tax inspector and a chartered tax adviser who is described in The Legal 500 2021 as “a perfect blend of cut and thrust litigation experience coupled with deep tax law knowledge, having senior team members from a diverse range of tax law backgrounds”. The combined experience within the department allows us to identify and pursue a multi-dimensional strategy to solve the challenges faced by our clients. Our advice is pragmatic and goes beyond legal analysis.
We have substantial experience in the use of alternative dispute resolution mechanisms in the context of professional liability. Through the effective use of the provisions of the Professional Negligence Pre-Action Protocol, we are often able to obtain early and cost-effective settlements for our clients. Where resolution is not possible and the situation demands it, we have the expertise and resources to conduct effective litigation.
We act in some of the highest profile professional negligence cases currently before the courts. Our track record is testament to the department’s market-leading multi-disciplinary approach. The following are a few of the cases our team has handled over recent years:
- A landmark £200m group action including claims against a number of professional advisors including banks, accountancy firms and financial advisors, publicly known as the “Ingenious Litigation”.
- A £40m professional negligence claim on behalf of 110 investors acting against a top tax QC advising in relation to an investment scheme. The case was selected by The Lawyer magazine as one of the Top 20 cases of 2021.
- A £50m professional negligence claim against a tax QC concerning advice provided in relation to failed investments in The Invicta Film Partnership.
- A £12m professional negligence claim on behalf of a leading literary and media agent against his former accountant and tax advisers. The claim arises out of advice relating to the restructuring of his business and the tax treatment of intangible fixed assets.
- A £10m professional negligence action against a leading firm of financial advisers in relation to advice in connection with investments marketed on the basis that they gave rise to tax reliefs.
- A claim against an accounting services company in respect of the advice provided on the set up, corporate structure and operation of a business, including tax and accountancy advice.
- A claim on behalf of a well-known individual against a leading firm of accountants arising out of their investments in a tax deferral partnership. The case settled positively for our client.
- A claim against a financial advisor who wrongly advised the client on entering a Scion film finance tax avoidance The case settled positively for our client in mediation.
"The team are a perfect blend of astute litigation practitioners and tax experts. They really know both sides well and play to their strengths as a team. They are commercial in their approach but are also very much into the detail. A perfect combination."The Legal 500
"Led by the very client-friendly, responsive and knowledgeable David Pickstone, the practice has been representing individual contributors to tax mitigation schemes in defending them against the HMRC and in claims against the promoters of such schemes"The Legal 500
"Stewarts stands out for its wealth of experience and strong team of very impressive lawyers"The Legal 500
Meet our Tax Litigation and Resolution team
Our team comprises former HMRC solicitors, former Big Four tax litigators, a former tax inspector and a chartered tax adviser.
We have an outstanding reputation in handling professional negligence claims arising out of negligent tax advice.