Alejandro acts as counsel in complex international arbitrations. As such, Alejandro has acted under many applicable laws, including those of major common law and civil law countries, and public international law. He has acted under the rules of the major arbitral institutions (including ICC, ICSID, LCIA and SCC) as well as in ad-hoc arbitrations (including under the UNCITRAL Rules).
These arbitrations have encompassed disputes in a number of sectors, including renewable energy, oil and gas, infrastructure, defence, intellectual property, mining and foreign direct investment.
Over the last decade, Alejandro has developed significant expertise in litigation financing, securing third party funding for a large number of his arbitrations.
Together with his counsel work, Alejandro also sits as an arbitrator and, amongst others, is a member of the CIETAC Panel of Arbitrators, HKIAC Panel of Arbitrators for intellectual property disputes and the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) Arbitration and Mediation Center’s list of neutrals.
Alejandro is listed as a “global leader” in international arbitration by Who’s Who Legal.
He is recognised as a “Next Generation Partner” in the fields of public international law (The Legal 500 UK) and international arbitration (The Legal 500 Latin America).
Client testimonials include: “Alejandro Garcia has multi-jurisdiction knowledge and gives outstanding legal, tactical and financial advice.” – The Legal 500 Latin America.
“Alejandro Garcia is a most valuable attorney in international arbitration cases as he is very knowledgeable about many details of law by heart. […] Very impressive. He managed our case to a big compensation reward.” – The Legal 500 Latin America.
“Brilliant mind, always finds a way around a problem, client orientated.” The Legal 500 UK.
Alejandro’s extensive experience includes:
- Representing a Chilean company in a breach of contract claim against a Scandinavian company (English law/ICC).
- Representing the claimants, acting in subrogation, in relation to US$50 million dispute against one of Europe’s largest industrial companies (Peruvian law/ICC).
- Representing a European company in a patent arbitration against one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies (Belgian law/LCIA).
- Representing a UAE company in its breach of contract claim against one of Asia’s largest manufacturers of household appliances (UAE law/ICC). Damages awarded to Alejandro’s client were in excess of US$100 million.
- Representing the claimant in a breach of contract dispute arising from defective repairs at a power plant (Swiss law/ICC).
- Representing two Central American investors against one of Latin America’s largest countries in a US$400 + million treaty claim (bilateral investment treaty/UNCITRAL Rules).
- Representing a solar photovoltaic investor in a Euro multi-million investment treaty claim against Italy (Energy Charter Treaty/ICSID).
- Representing a UK national in a multimillion US$200 + million investment treaty arbitration against a Latin American State (bilateral investment treaty/ICSID).
- Acting on behalf of the claimants in a multimillion US$ treaty claim arising from the termination of licences in the oil & gas sector against an African State (arbitration agreement/bilateral investment treaty/ICSID).
- Advising Spain in two investment treaty arbitrations relating to the country’s solar photovoltaic industry (Energy Charter Treaty/UNCITRAL and SCC Rules).
- Sitting as sole arbitrator in a dispute between European and Latin American parties in relation to a film (Mexican law/WIPO).
- Sitting as sole arbitrator in a media-related dispute, which included copyright aspects (Mexican law/WIPO).
Alejandro has practised in London for 15 years at leading law firms, including Herbert Smith Freehills. Prior to joining Stewarts, he was a partner at Clyde & Co.
Alejandro is admitted to practise in England & Wales, New York and Chile.
Alejandro obtained law degrees in the USA (LLM, Harvard Law School (Fulbright Scholar)) and Chile (LLB, University of Chile Law School (summa cum laude/first-class honours)).
Accreditations and Memberships
Alejandro is a member of the WIPO Mediation and Arbitration Advisory Committee, the City of London Law Society (CLLS) Arbitration Committee and ICSID Review Peer Review Board.
Alejandro has Higher Rights of Audience (Civil).
Publications and Media
Alejandro has written extensively on issues of commercial arbitration and investment treaty arbitration. He is the co-author of the first comprehensive book in the English language on the use of international arbitration for the resolution of intellectual property disputes (“International Intellectual Property Arbitration”, Kluwer Law International, 2010).
Alejandro enjoys running, reading, listening to audiobooks and spending time with his family.