Alex has experience acting for a wide range of clients, including insolvency practitioners, corporates, individuals, family offices, financial institutions as well as governments and public bodies. Alex has led a number of successful cases on behalf of his clients in a wide variety of sectors, securing the recovery of many millions in the process.
“Alex Jay is a key player in international fraud. Completely unflappable, marshals his team and liaises very well with counsel and the expert investigators.” – The Legal 500
Alex is recognised as a Global Elite Thought Leader for Asset Recovery by Who’s Who Legal, who describe him as “an excellent and uber-experienced lawyer” and “a fraud and insolvency litigation expert, and a qualified fraud examiner.” – Who’s Who Legal
Alex’s recent experience includes acting for:
- liquidators in a claim for over $450m against an offshore bank and high net worth individual, relating to a widespread VAT carousel fraud operation
- liquidators of a BVI company, seeking to recover over $300m of investor funds dissipated in a multi-jurisdictional Ponzi scheme
- a major multinational, defending a claim by liquidators for over £100m relating to a group restructuring and disposal of a lease on landmark London premises
- liquidators of Stanford International Bank, in connection with the second largest Ponzi scheme in history, with creditor-victims of over $7bn
- a trustee in bankruptcy pursuing claims to restore transactions defrauding creditors, concerning a £17m UK property
- a major UAE retail and distribution company in connection with misappropriation of monies and assets within a corporate group
- a variety of Brazilian corporates and insolvency officeholders on asset recovery actions relating to substantial corporate asset stripping, corruption and fraud
- liquidators of UAE entities incorporated in the Dubai International Financial Centre, including obtaining one of the first disclosure orders against former advisers in that jurisdiction.
Alex started his career with Eversheds Sutherland in 2004, before joining what is now Gowling WLG in 2008, and becoming a partner of that firm in 2014. He joined Stewarts in 2021.
Alex is also qualified separately as a Certified Fraud Examiner, through global anti-fraud body, the ACFE.
Accreditations and Memberships
- R3: Association of Business Recovery Professionals
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, sitting as a member of the UK board since 2015
- Fraud Advisory Panel
- UK Cabinet Office adviser for fraud on cross-sector advisory group
Alex enjoys most sporting activities, recently tennis and running. He also plays the guitar.