Charlie’s experience includes acting for clients in litigation before the English courts and in offshore common law jurisdictions, as well as in arbitral proceedings under the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) and International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) rules.
He works with clients from a variety of sectors, including financial services and telecommunications, and from a range of jurisdictions, including in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
Charlie has experience of bringing and defending claims. Stewarts’ conflict-free platform also means that Charlie is able to act against institutions that other City firms may not.
Charlie’s experience includes:
- Acting for a UK-regulated bank in a complex fraud-based dispute arising from the enforcement of a share pledge given as security for a €150m loan
- Representing a shareholder in a major telecommunications company in relation to multi-billion dollar ICC arbitration proceedings, including ancillary proceedings in the British Virgin Islands
- Acting for a high-net-worth individual and others in a complex, multi-jurisdictional dispute relating to an alleged scheme to defraud creditors, involving complex trust issues and claims for asset freezing relief
- Advising a merchant banking business in an investment dispute involving claims of misrepresentation
- Advising an investment bank regarding a claim under a deed of guarantee and an International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA) option agreement
- Representing a shareholder in a leading mobile phone operator in LCIA arbitration proceedings concerning the disputed ownership of a multi-billion dollar stake in the operator
- Advising a leading media company in relation to a pre-arbitration loss estimate procedure arising out of a share purchase agreement
Prior to joining Stewarts, Charlie trained and practised in the London and Paris offices of White & Case, where he was also seconded to the dispute resolution team of a global investment bank.
Prior to his legal career, Charlie studied at the Universities of Edinburgh and Oxford, from the latter of which he holds an MPhil in Islamic history and Arabic.
Accreditations and Memberships
- Solicitor-Advocate (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings)
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- London Solicitors Litigation Association (LSLA)
Charlie enjoys imposing his cooking on his family and friends, spending time in the West Country and cricket.