Fiona’s experience includes:
- Acting for a State and its National Bank in claims relating to a Global Custody Agreement with an international bank.
- Co-managing the action issued in 2013 by over 300 financial institutions and other institutional investors in the group litigation against RBS in relation to its £12bn rights issue in April 2008. A confidential settlement was reached in December 2016, three months before the start of a six-month liability only trial.
- Acting in high court proceedings for a trade finance company which was the payee and holder of a promissory note governed by German law and issued and made by the defendant as collateral for the payment by a company (of which the defendant was a director) of an amount due by the company under a forfaiting agreement. A confidential settlement was reached on the eve of a 6 day commercial court trial
- Advising an Australian mining company in various contractual disputes against an Indonesian mining company it provided services to as a sub-contractor.
- Acting for a Canadian plc, in successfully obtaining emergency injunctions restraining misuse of confidential information
Fiona advises on high-value domestic and international contracts, commercial fraud and tort disputes, with a particular expertise in financial services claims against banks.
She is experienced in coordinating proceedings in other jurisdictions, including working with foreign lawyers, investigators and forensic accountants.
Fiona is described by The Legal 500 as “‘a very able lawyer, who has a great touch with clients’” and in Chambers as “very determined”.
Fiona joined Stewarts as a partner in 2010 after spending four years at litigation boutique Masseys LLP and 6 years prior to that at Baker & McKenzie, London (with one year in their Toronto office).
- Disclosing the identity of third party funders
- Group Litigation Orders: Lessons from the RBS Rights Issue Litigation
- Competing dispute resolution clauses under UK law – Financier Worldwide, September 2011
- Dispute at the coalface in London and Singapore – Global Arbitration Review, 18 July 2011
- Show me the money – Costs Lawyer, December 2010
Accreditations and Memberships
- AIJA (International Association of Young Lawyers)
- LSLA (London Solicitors Litigation Association)
Fiona enjoys skiing, spinning, tennis and generally all that life has to offer.