Harry acts for individuals and corporate clients from the UK and abroad in high-stakes complex litigation. His practice covers a wide range of commercial disputes with particular expertise in:
- Civil / commercial fraud
- Quincecare and banking negligence
- Contentious insolvency
- Injunctive relief
Harry has significant experience of pursuing and defending claims in the High Court and acting for clients in appeals before the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
- Acted in Arcadia Petroleum Limited v Peter Miles Bosworth and Others, a fraud case concerning African oil trading in which the claimants sought to recover $287m.
- Acted for US investment funds Fortress Investment Group and Cyrus Capital Partners in a $650m professional negligence claim against BNP Paribas for its role in arranging a Shari’ah compliant bond issue.
- Acted for the BVI and Cayman liquidators of Stanford International Bank Ltd (in liquidation) in a £120m Quincecare negligence claim against HSBC arising out of a multi-billion dollar Ponzi scheme. This was listed by The Lawyer as one of the Top 20 Cases of 2021.
- Acted for Susquehanna Growth Equity in a minority shareholder claim for a $230m buy back order against ETFS Capital Limited and Graham Tuckwell.
- Acting for the liquidators of a group of defrauded companies pursuing damages claims against two UK banks to recover £280m in losses.
- The Legal 500: “Harry Spendlove is a standout lawyer and really gets to grips with a case.”
- “Harry Spendlove is a standout amongst the senior associates. Extremely hard working and great on the detail but without losing sight of the commercial goals of the client.”
- “Harry Spendlove is an absolute star, he is hardworking, meticulous and has a first-class legal brain.”
Harry studied History at the University of Leeds before completing the LPC in London. He trained at Stewarts and qualified into the Commercial Litigation department and also works in the Insolvency and Asset Recovery department.
Accreditations and Memberships
- London Solicitors Litigation Association
Publications and Media
- LexisNexis webinar on Quincecare claims (18 November 2022)