Ilyas specialises in commercial litigation and international arbitration. He has a broad range of experience in the litigation and arbitration (both commercial and investment treaty) of complex disputes often with an international element, in the English Courts and under the ICC, LCIA and UNCITRAL Rules. Ilyas acts for clients across a range of sectors including banking, telecommunications, medical sciences, advertising, construction, rail and retail, and in particular, in relation to large group shareholder/investor protection litigation in the UK and other jurisdictions.
Ilyas’s recent experience includes:
- Acting for over 100 institutional investors in claims against Tesco under FSMA in connection with its accounting irregularities
- Working closely with foreign counsel to advise institutional investor clients in relation to group litigation disputes in other jurisdictions
- Acting for a leading medical device manufacturer in relation to advertising and consumer protection claims
- Acting for a major financial institution in relation to parallel ICC arbitration and Belgian court proceedings
- Acting for a major European telecommunications company in relation to an investment treaty arbitration against a state under the UNCITRAL Rules
- Acting for a telecommunications company in an ICC arbitration in relation to a shareholder agreement against a Middle East company
- Acting for a leading European train lessor in a complex engineering dispute in the Technology and Construction Court
Ilyas joined Stewarts in 2015 after having trained at DLA Piper and qualified into their litigation and international arbitration team in 2010. Ilyas completed his postgraduate studies in law in Germany and holds an LLM from the University of Freiburg.
Accreditations and Memberships
Turkish British Lawyers Association
Ilyas enjoys travel, film and playing tennis.