James has a particular focus on financial and commercial classes of insurance. These include:
- representing directors and officers that face criminal, regulatory or civil claims and investigations
- advising companies on warranty and indemnity claims when a purchase or sale of a company has gone wrong
- claims concerning alleged financial crime, and
- cyber claims.
James has also spent a considerable amount of time in the last two years advising on business interruption claims following the loss of revenue/profit companies have suffered due to Covid-19, and has acted on some of the leading cases in the field.
James was relied on by Thomson Reuters to produce commentary on the Financial Conduct Authority test case on Covid-19 and the impact on insurers and insureds. James is regularly asked to provide talks and articles on that subject and on directors and officers insurance policies.
James represented Stonegate Pub Company Limited in its £1.1bn claim for losses suffered due to Covid-19. This is the largest case of its kind in the insurance market and akin to a test case. Other key clients have included large and high-profile institutions and individuals within the financial markets.
James also has particular experience advising directors and officers on coverage of third-party claims and regulatory investigations, often involving the application of EU, UK and Office of Foreign Control (OFAC) sanctions to complex cross-jurisdictional proceedings.
Adams Grammar School, Queen Mary: University of London, The College of Law, Moorgate (as it was).
Before joining Stewarts, James worked on the insurer side at Clyde & Co, and for the last four years, has acted exclusively for insureds at a boutique firm in the City.
Accreditations and Memberships
- British Insurance Law Association inc Young Professionals Group
- London Young Lawyers Group
- Cyber Insurance Association
- London Solicitor Litigation Association
- Multiple reviews available on PLC re Covid-19.
- Top cases that helped shape the market, Insurance Age
- Interview for Thomson Reuters on insurance regulation following Financial Conduct Authority test case.
James enjoys watching and participating in various sports, attending music festivals and concerts (of most genres), and walking his five-year-old French Bulldog, Walter. He is active and social so prefers to do anything but sit inside.