James has had a leading role in recent high-profile group mis-selling claims involving tax-driven investments, including the Ingenious litigation (named as one of The Lawyer’s top 20 cases of 2018). He has also acted in numerous commercial fraud claims and investigations, as well as other heavy commercial disputes. James’s broad commercial litigation expertise complements Stewarts’ multidisciplinary approach to tax disputes.
- Represented groups of investors in the Ingenious and Scion schemes in claims against the promoters of those schemes as well as intermediaries
- Acted for the first defendant in the long-running Kazakhstan Kagazy v Zhunus litigation, which involved many reported decisions in both the Commercial Court and Court of Appeal concerning freezing orders, security for costs, interim costs orders and part 20 proceedings
- Acted for a FTSE 100 company to investigate and seek redress for a substantial fraud
- Acted in numerous high-value commercial claims involving shareholder and joint venture disputes, contractual disputes and breaches of directors’ duties.
James qualified and practised as a barrister before working for a leading litigation practice in the City. James joined Stewarts as a partner in March 2019.
Accreditations and Memberships
- President of Commercial Fraud Commission of AIJA
- Practising barrister with full rights of audience
- Member of the Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
- Member of COMBAR, LSLA and BACFI
- Gave presentation on recent developments in asset recovery as part of KNECT 365’s Financial Services Litigation seminar in November 2018
- Published article comparing criminal and civil remedies in the Barrister Magazine in September 2018
- Chaired panel at August 2018 AIJA Annual Congress in Brussels on competition between English-speaking commercial courts around the world, and the impact on the Commercial Court in London. Panelists included litigators practising in London, Singapore, Dubai and Amsterdam
Away from the office, James enjoys time with his family, good food and wine, and, most of all, combining all three while on adventures overseas.