James specialises in handling complex, high-value and often high-profile litigation relating to private wealth matters, trust and succession in England and other leading trusts jurisdictions. He also has considerable expertise in handling other contentious issues, especially in cases involving fraud and asset tracing (particularly where trusts are involved) as well as advising on trust issues arising out of divorce.
James’s team won the UK Contentious Trusts & Estates Team of the Year award at both the 2021 and 2020 Chambers High Net Worth Awards.
Jurisdictions in which James has experience include Bermuda, Cayman, Jersey, Guernsey, Gibraltar, Singapore, Hong Kong and the US. His recent matters include:
- Representing one of the parties in what is considered to be the largest (by value) claim in Bermudian legal history which went to trial for 19 weeks during 2021;
- Advising a number of discretionary beneficiaries of high value Bermudian trusts on the validity of the appointment of trustees and protectors, corporate governance and other matters connected with the proposed restructuring of beneficial interests;
- Advising a Cayman structure on substantial claims brought against it by the Libyan Investment Authority;
- Acting for an Italian beneficiary of Jersey trusts involved in a contested Public Trustee v Cooper application in the High Court in England and Wales; and
- Advising the adult children of the principal beneficiary of very valuable trusts established in Gibraltar concerning a dispute as to beneficial interests.
James is ranked as a Band 1 lawyer for private wealth disputes in the Chambers’ HNW Guide and in the Hall of Fame in The Legal 500.
Some recent quotes include:
“James Price is at the top of his game. He is very experienced and manages to be both robust and charming – a winning combination.” – The Legal 500
“The ‘world-class and impressive’ James Price heads the ‘dynamic’ team that is currently involved in some of the largest (in terms of value) and most complex matters in global trust litigation”; “he is a key player in so much of the major trusts litigation. He is charismatic and has exceptional judgment.” – The Legal 500
“James Price focuses his practice on contentious private client matters and is particularly renowned for his work on offshore cases.”; “He’s a fabulous litigator who is astute and sharp”; “James is an excellent choice for offshore matters; he’s bright, has real trusts expertise and always makes the client feel safe.” – Chambers HNW
“James’s work regularly involves high-value cross-border cases, including those involving offshore jurisdictions. Price is considered ‘incredibly smart, thoughtful and good to do business with’ by a solicitor who also says that he is ‘articulate, level-headed and only takes points that make a difference – it’s a very balanced approach to every issue.’ Another interviewee describes him as ‘extremely bright, hard-working and organised’ and adds: ‘He is extremely knowledgeable and experienced in the field of contentious trusts and must now be regarded as one of London’s top partners in that area.’” – Chambers HNW
Recent Reported Cases
- Wang v Grand View PTC et al  CA (Bda) 6 Civ
- PTNZ v AS & Ors  EWHC 3114 (Ch)
- In the matter of the K Trust  GCA 537
- In the matter of GA, GB and GC Settlements  SC (Bda) 38 Civ
James joined Stewarts in 2016 to head the firm’s contentious trusts and estates practice. Prior to this he trained at Farrer & Co where he became partner in 2005.
Publications, media and speaking engagements
James has spoken at the following conferences:
- Informa Connect and ConTrA Trusts in Litigation Conferences 2019, 2020 and 2021: Co-Chair with Rachael Reynolds
- Private Client Global Elite Litigation Conference 2019 on Bermuda’s s.47 regime (with Jeremy Kosky and Jeffrey Elkinson)
- STEP Asia Conference 2019 on the development of reserved powers in trusts (with Elspeth Talbot Rice QC)
- STEP Cayman 2018, This House believes that trustee directions applications are a refuge for the cowardly
- STEP Asia Conference 2017, the Enforcement of foreign judgments at the intersection of inheritance and family law disputes
Accreditations and Memberships
- The Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists
- The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Commercial Fraud Lawyers’ Association
James is married and has three teenage children.
"James Price is extremely incisive in that he is good at picking up on what is important to his client"Chambers
"James Price is a first rate litigator with an excellent grasp of what is required"The Legal 500
"It is James Price's understated manner and the way he approaches cases that is fantastic. He is very pragmatic and sensible. He walks softly but carries a big stick"Chambers