James has substantial experience in handling complex, high-value and often high-profile litigation, having acted for high net worth individuals in the Bahamas, Cayman, Jersey, Guernsey, Singapore and Hong Kong.
He also advises on trust issues arising out of divorce and on claims concerning poor investment performance.
James is ranked as a leading individual in the Legal 500 which describes him as “a first-rate lawyer and a formidable opponent with excellent client skills”.
James is ranked in the Chambers and Partners’ Global, UK and High Net Worth Guides, which describe him as a “very robust litigator who fights for his clients”. He is praised for his “ability to get straight to the nub of any issue,” by another interviewee, who also says: “He always works out all the details of any issue and approaches things from many different angles. He thinks outside the box.”
Cases on which James has acted include advising a number of discretionary beneficiaries of substantial Bermudian trusts on the validity of the appointment of trustees and protectors, corporate governance and other matters connected with the proposed restructuring of beneficial interests.
He has also advised charity trustees on a claim against investment advisers for negligence and a Hong Kong based beneficiary of trusts valued at many billions of pounds on various issues concerning the trustees and agreements with family members.
James joined Stewarts in 2016 to head the firm’s contentious trusts and estates practice. Prior to this he trained at Farrer & Co where he became partner in 2005.
James has spoken at the following conferences:
- STEP Asia Conference 2015, The Future of Wealth Management in Asia: International Probate Disputes
- Mourant Ozannes’ International Trusts & Private Client Conference 2016: Arbitration of Trust Disputes
- Serle Court New York Conference 2016: Availability of Litigation Funding
- STEP Asia Conference 2017, The Enforcement of foreign judgments at the intersection of inheritance and family law disputes
- STEP Cayman 2018, This House believes that trustee directions applications are a refuge for the cowardly
- KNEXT 365 and Contra, Trusts in Litigation Conference 2018 (co-chair)
Accreditations and Memberships
- The Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists
- The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association
James is married with three children who usually keep him very busy at weekends. When he can, he sneaks off for a swim or bike ride.
"James Price is extremely incisive in that he is good at picking up on what is important to his client"Chambers
"James Price is a first rate litigator with an excellent grasp of what is required"The Legal 500
"It is James Price's understated manner and the way he approaches cases that is fantastic. He is very pragmatic and sensible. He walks softly but carries a big stick"Chambers