Tim is an expert in contentious insolvency litigation and asset recovery, encompassing director misfeasance and fraud, antecedent transactions, and enforcement of office-holders’ investigatory powers leading to asset recoveries for creditors.
The Legal 500 2020 says: “Tim Symes is a superb litigator who consistently is able to analyse the facts of a case and offer ‘outside the box’ thinking for innovative approaches to claims.”
Chambers and Partners 2021 says: “Tim always provides excellent and very thorough advice, is very strong in communication and has an excellent rate of case progression.” It continues: “He consistently demonstrates the ability to understand and determine exactly what the issues are and to provide sensible and useful advice.”
- Advising liquidators on £200m foreign exchange fraud across multiple jurisdictions
- Advising group of prime city real estate landlords in £350m hostile ‘loan to own’ debt buyout and administration application
- Advising group of non-UK creditors on recovery of £40m of suspected assets concealed in trusts in multiple offshore jurisdictions
- Advising liquidators on realisation of claim concerning £1bn in bonds
- Advising a Greek insolvency office-holder of a company with debts of £100m on recognition and asset recovery proceedings in the UK
On qualifying in 2002, Tim joined BDB Pitmans. He has practiced contentious insolvency litigation ever since. Tim went on to lead the Restructuring and Insolvency Group at DMH Stallard before joining Stewarts’ Insolvency and Asset Recovery department in September 2020.
Accreditations and memberships
Publications and media
Articles Tim has written include:
- Wrongful trading webinar– busting the myths
- Licence to trade wrongfully – false comfort for directors and LLP members?
- The fall of Employee Benefit Trust Schemes – and the rise of misfeasance claim
Tim and his partner have two beautiful daughters, a young dog called Fred and an old cat called Stan. He enjoys keeping fit and, weather permitting, likes to get up in the air in a light aircraft.