Tim is an expert in contentious insolvency litigation encompassing director misfeasance, antecedent transactions and enforcement of office-holders’ investigatory powers leading to asset recoveries for creditors.
The Legal 500 guide 2020 says Tim Symes is a superb litigator who consistently is able to analyse the facts of a case and offer “outside the box” thinking for innovative approaches to claims.”
Chambers and Partners 2021 says: “Tim always provides excellent and very thorough advice, is very strong in communication and has an excellent rate of case progression.” “He consistently demonstrates the ability to understand and determine exactly what the issues are and to provide sensible and useful advice.”
- Acting for a liquidator on multimillion pound gold bullion tax avoidance scheme misfeasance
- Acting for a liquidator on wrongful trading, misfeasance, and VAT fraud claim attracting significant press attention as well as parliamentary debate
- Acting on multi-million pound bankruptcy fraud involving fictional property valuations
- Assisting trustee in bankruptcy with seizure of assets comprised in Jersey Trust
He relocated to Sussex to join PDT Solicitors where he was made a partner and appointed Head of Contentious Insolvency, before moving on to DMH Stallard in 2013 to become Head of the Restructuring and Insolvency Group. Tim joined Stewarts in September 2020.
Accreditations and memberships
Publications and media
Articles Tim has written include:
- Wrongful trading webinar– busting the myths
- Licence to trade wrongfully – false comfort for directors and LLP members?
- The fall of Employee Benefit Trust Schemes – and the rise of misfeasance claim
Tim and his partner have two beautiful daughters, a young dog called Fred and an old cat called Stan. He enjoys keeping fit and, weather permitting, likes to get up in the air in a light aircraft.