Our experience in fraud cases
Much of our work is highly confidential, but we highlight below some of our recent cases:
- Advising a public body investigating a $1bn corruption by a senior public official, coordinating an international team of advisors in Europe, the Middle East and the US
- Advising Kaupthing in connection with a €500m claim arising from the sale of complex banking derivatives at the time of the credit crunch. This claim also involves prosecutions in Iceland, an SFO investigation and questions raised in the Icelandic parliament
- Advising asset managers challenging the validity of their removal as directors of investment funds on the basis of sanctions breaches, as well as other issues arising under Libyan law
- Advising Swiss, German and Austrian banks and investment funds in a €130m claim against Royal Bank of Scotland and Standard & Poor’s concerning the alleged fraudulent rating and marketing of complex derivative products
- Acting in a £1.5bn dispute involving allegations of fraud against (amongst others) the former chairman of Kazakhstan JSC BTA Bank (BTA)
- Successfully defending the finance director of a FTSE-listed group from misconduct allegations by the Financial Reporting Council
- Acting for creditors in the JJM Centurion fund whose US$9m investment was lost and fraudulently concealed by the fund’s investment manager
- Obtaining judgment against a dishonest director of an English textiles wholesaler for breach of fiduciary duty and fraud in relation to numerous payments made out of the company and unexplained losses during his directorship. Freezing and delivery up applications were made at the outset of the action
- Representing the claimant in fraud/misfeasance proceedings in which a £6m judgment was obtained along with orders impounding the defendant’s passport. Contempt proceedings were successfully brought
- Acting for a large multi-jurisdictional company in a fraud claim against former directors involving injunctions and the coordination of lawyers from five different jurisdictions and a forensic accounting team
A groundbreaking after the event (ATE) insurance facility for our commercial disputes clients.
Stewarts Litigate provides our commercial disputes clients with rapid access to comprehensive ATE insurance at pre-agreed market leading rates.
This communication has been authorised by Arthur J Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited for the purpose of s21 of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000
"They work hand in glove with you and can compete with the big firms"Chambers
Meet the Fraud team
Our lawyers have acted in some of the largest global fraud investigations.
They have experience co-ordinating multi-jurisdictional claims working alongside specialist law firms around the world.