Matthew’s expertise includes:
- disputes with HMRC in relation to all UK taxes
- litigation in the tax tribunal and higher courts
- alternative dispute resolution and mediation
- judicial review actions against HMRC
- managing group litigation claims against HMRC
Matthew’s recent work includes agreed settlement on major transfer pricing and intra-group financing disputes, successful appeals against CGT on business disposals and resolving complex VAT disputes affecting a range of Fintech companies. Other experience includes advising clients on PAYE/NIC disputes, judicial review actions against HMRC and tax penalty assessments.
Before joining Stewarts, Matthew worked in the specialist tax disputes teams at RPC and PwC before helping set up a new tax disputes service line at Osborne Clarke.
Accreditations and Memberships
Solicitor, England and Wales
Matthew enjoys hiking in the UK countryside and pub quizzes.