Alison has almost exclusively specialised in running brain and spinal cord injury claims since qualifying in 2007. She has particular experience in claims arising from the delayed diagnosis of spinal abscesses, injuries resulting from mismanagement of spinal injury, cauda equina and spinal surgery claims.
Alison prides herself in delivering exceptional client service as demonstrated in her consistently excellent client feedback.
- Alison has recovered over £7.3m in capitalised damages for a 39 year old who suffered a severe brain injury following the negligent insertion of a shunt. The Claimant was left with significant cognitive, behavioural and emotional impairment. A six figure interim payment was obtained which enabled the Claimant to move from an assisted living facility into his own property with the assistance of support workers and a team of therapists. The claim settled on the basis of annual payments for care and remainder by way of a lump sum. The Claimant’s family hope that the compensation will enable the Claimant to lead as fulfilling and independent a life as possible.
- Alison has recovered damages for a 74 year old Claimant who was rendered tetraplegic following negligent spinal surgery. The damages were awarded by way of annualised payments for care for the rest of his life and a lump sum for the remainder of the damages. The capitalised value of the damages was £3m, based upon the Claimant living for his projected life expectancy.
- Alison acted for a Claimant who was a horse enthusiast rendered an incomplete paraplegic following the delayed diagnosis of a spinal abscess. Damages of £3m were recovered which assisted the Claimant to return to her main passion in life, riding her horses. The Claimant has also used the damages to purchase and adapt a property which will enable her to live with her horses on site.
- Alison secured a seven figure settlement for a brain injured client in relation to the delayed diagnosis in A&E of a subdural haematoma following an assault.
- Alison secured a seven figure settlement for a client following the delayed diagnosis of spinal TB.
- Alison has specialised in catastrophic injury claims since starting her legal career in 2002.
- The Legal 500 recommend Alison as ‘a very skilled litigator’ with ‘an excellent technical grasp of what are often very complex medical issues’.
- She is referred to as a spinal injury expert in The Legal 500 and has worked in some of the industry’s leading legal teams, all of whom are top rated by both The Legal 500 and Chambers.
- Listed as Next Generation Partner in The Legal 500, 2023
- ‘Alison Goldney is the safest of safe hands, who pays outstanding attention to detail.’ The Legal 500, 2023
- ‘Alison Goldney is great with clients, always thinking about the best steps to take to make immediate improvements to their lives.’ The Legal 500, 2023
- Stewarts – Paralegal and trainee solicitor in the Personal Injury department (2002-2007)
- Irwin Mitchell – Assistant Solicitor neuro-trauma department, specialising in spinal cord injury and brain injury clinical negligence and personal injury claims (2007-2014)
- Brethertons – Associate Solicitor in spinal injuries team, specialising in clinical negligence and personal injury claims (2014-2017)
- Stewarts – Senior Associate in the Clinical Negligence department (2018 – 2021)
- Stewarts – Partner 2021
Accreditations and Memberships
Alison is an accredited Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) Senior Litigator and a member of the Multidisciplinary Association for Spinal Cord Injury Professionals (MASCIP). Alison is a previous committee member of Headway West London and Headway Milton Keynes.
In her spare time Alison enjoys spending time with her daughters and, when time permits, running in the Buckinghamshire countryside. Alison has completed the Edinburgh (2015) and Bournemouth (2016) marathons. She enjoys reading a variety of books from biographies to crime thrillers. Alison also enjoys travelling with favourite destinations including Kenya, Australia and Italy.