Experience and expertise
Charles specialises in the highest-value and most complex value personal injury claims, with a particular interest in claimants who have sustained either spinal cord or brain injury. He has experience in dealing with a variety of types of claims, covering road traffic accidents, accidents at work and in accidents public places.
Over the past 20 years of his career at Stewarts, Charles has settled claims for clients totalling in excess of £200m. These include high-level spinal cord injury cases, brain injury cases involving minimally aware clients, high-earning City workers, and claims with an international element.
Charles is regularly quoted as being a leading authority in his field and recent entries in legal directories have included the following:
- “A leading individual who has a terrific manner with clients and opponents and really good judgement.” (Legal 500)
- “Exceptionally good and collaborative” (Legal 500)
- “Is a very safe pair of hands for high-value claims arising out of road traffic accidents, accidents at work or in public places” (Legal 500)
- “Has a terrific manner with clients and opponents, with really good judgment” (Chambers)
- “Forms wonderful client relationships, exercises fine judgment and prepares his work to a high standard” (Chambers)
- “Noted for his experience and expertise in brain and spinal injury cases. He is noted by sources for being very innovative and very happy to explore unusual situations and scenarios and solutions. One client says “he has been fantastic. He dealt with things very well, in a very straightforward and confident way.” (Chambers)
- “He is always available to speak to and his communication is second to none. An extremely capable lawyer who is thoroughly decent and pleasant to deal with. Very client focussed.” (Chambers)
After obtaining a law degree, Charles obtained a master’s degree in International Business Litigation from King’s College London. Following law school, his training took place at a regional firm where he gained exposure to a wide range of practice areas. Charles then specialised in civil litigation, before moving to a large national firm to focus on personal injury in their serious injury department. He joined Stewarts in 2003, was made Partner in 2006, and specialises in the most severe and complex claims.
Publications and media
Charles has given presentations to both insurers and defendant solicitors on the benefits to all parties of a transparent and proactive approach to claims. He has also given presentations at the International Spinal Cord Society Annual Meetings (Dublin, Vienna).
Accreditations and Memberships
- APIL, Senior Litigator
Charles is a keen amateur athlete who has competed in a number of marathons and distance events. He is particularly proud of finishing in the top 20% of competitors at the UK Half Ironman (1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike ride and 13.1-mile run) and still has ambitions to complete a full distance ironman, albeit he has been saying that for a number of years now.
"Ours was an extremely high-level case, and one of the main things we have learnt from going through this process is that you need to have people with the highest level of abilities and experience, which we believe we have had with Charles. His manner of working with people has been excellent and extremely professional. He has achieved a very successful outcome with our case, and we would highly recommend him."Client
"From our first meeting with Charles, his calm, caring expertise gave me confidence. The quality of service, empathy, understanding and honesty from Charles and Stewarts could not have been higher. Charles’ expertise and speed in getting additional care and support in place directly contributed, we believe, to my husband’s remarkable level of recovery. He would not be where he is today, with the quality of life he has, were it not for Charles knowing which medical experts to call upon at each stage. Due to the thoroughness and quality of Charles’ work, we are convinced our final ‘take-home’ figure is millions more than it would have been. In a way, we are even sad that the case is over as Charles has been like a member of the family. We are forever in his debt."Client