Dan has advised and acted in international commercial and investor-state arbitrations. His experience covers arbitrations under the major institutional rules and in ad-hoc arrangements, and he has advised on disputes subject to a wide range of applicable laws and arbitral seats.
Dan has an equally deep experience of arbitration-related litigation before the English Courts, covering anti-suit and related relief, challenges to arbitral awards and enforcement matters.
Dan is widely recognised for his experience of acting on disputes connected with Africa, particularly for indigenous companies in dispute with multinational partners and financial institutions. A fluent English and French speaker, Dan’s recent activities have involved Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Tanzania, Kenya, Côte d’Ivoire, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea and Botswana.
Dan also has a significant practice of advising clients on disputes connected with the GCC region.
Dan is similarly recognised for his expertise in disputes arising in the oil & gas sector, including on construction matters. His practice is almost entirely international and has included advising on cases in the technology, infrastructure, healthcare, finance, transport, automotive, mining, power, manufacturing, insurance, shipping, hospitality and consumer retail industries.
Dan’s client base includes multinational corporates, investors, HNWIs and Governments.
Alongside his counsel work, Dan accepts arbitrator appointments. He is a regular speaker and author in his fields of practice and is Adjunct Professor of International Commercial Arbitration at Pepperdine University. Dan is also an expert in disputes legal tech and consults in the space.
A selection of Dan’s experience includes advising:
- a Nigerian oil & gas company in multiple ICC arbitrations brought by a consortium of lenders in connection with a US$ billions financing of an onshore oilfield interest
- a Qatari corporate in LCIA arbitration in connection with supplies of LNG into Ghana
- a European Government resisting enforcement proceedings before the English High Court of an award obtained by an investor under an intra-EU bilateral investment treaty
- a US drilling company in LCIA arbitration arising from onshore activities in Kurdistan
- a Nigerian energy company in claims subject to LCIA arbitration against a Chinese manufacturer arising in connection with the purchase of an allegedly defective oil tanker
- a Saudi oilfield services provider in ICC arbitration against a joint venture partner in connection with disputed contractual territorial rights to seismic exploration activities
- a West African oil & gas company in various proceedings before the English High Court and Court of Appeal in connection with arbitral anti-suit relief and challenges to arbitral awards
- a French contractor in a consortium in ICC arbitration against a European Government arising from a FIDIC Silverbook contract for the construction of a rail infrastructure project
- investors in respect of a BIT claim against the Arab Republic of Egypt in connection with the alleged unlawful expropriation of businesses operating in the commodities sector
- a Cameroonian petroleum distributor in UNCITRAL 1976 arbitration against an oil and gas supermajor in connection with the purchase of regional assets and related tax issues
- a global IT services and solutions provider in major ad hoc arbitration against the UK Government in connection with the NHS Connecting for Health national programme
Dan is individually ranked for International Commercial Arbitration in Chambers UK and Chambers Global. He similarly is ranked as a Next Generation Partner in International Arbitration by Legal 500 and as a Future Leader by GAR’s Who’s Who ranking of global leading arbitration lawyers.
Dan is an alumnus of University College London (UCL). He trained at Pinsent Masons and spent a number of years there until moving to the leading international arbitration practice at White & Case. In 2019, he joined the International Arbitration team at Stewarts.
Accreditations and Memberships
Dan is a member of various arbitration and industry associations.
Publications and media
Dan often publishes content relevant to his areas of focus. He was a contributor to a chapter in The Law and Business of LNG (3rd ed.). Dan regularly speaks at conferences and events, particularly those concerning the resolution of disputes connected with Africa. Dan has trained Attorneys-General and members of the judiciary in Africa on arbitration issues, and is an Adjunct Professor of International Commercial Arbitration at Pepperdine University.
Dan enjoys music, cycling, computing and travelling. He is often found chasing after his mischievous dachshund, Dudley.