Dan has represented domestic and multinational corporates, investors, high-net-worth individuals and government entities in a variety of dispute scenarios. He has extensive experience of advising clients operating within the oil and gas and technology sectors, but has acted in matters arising in a wide range of commercial industries, including construction, transport, mining, power, manufacturing, shipping, hospitality and consumer retail.
Dan has a particular expertise in disputes connected with the African continent and has advised on matters involving a variety of African states, using his fluency in French as needed. He has a similar practice in the Middle East and has acted on various matters from the region.
Dan is an international arbitration specialist and has conducted arbitrations under a variety of governing laws and pursuant to many of the major institutional rules as well as under ad hoc arrangements. He has experience of English court litigation, investment treaty arbitration and forms of alternative dispute resolution (ADR), including mediation and expert determination.
Dan is active in the arbitration community and is a supporter of the annual Vis Moot competition. He has a strong interest in legal technology, including in respect of eDisclosure, and is an expert in using such technology to assist in the resolution of major disputes.
A selection of Dan’s experience includes advising:
- a West African downstream petroleum distributor in arbitration under UNCITRAL rules against an oil and gas supermajor in connection with the purchase of regional assets and related tax issues
- a Ghanaian telecoms provider in LCIA arbitration against an Indian global IT consultancy
- a Saudi Arabian oilfield services provider in respect of various disputed joint venture arrangements
- a high-net-worth individual in litigation against an oil and gas supermajor connected with Middle Eastern investments
- a global IT services and solutions provider in major ad hoc arbitration against the UK Government in connection with the NHS Connecting for Health national programme
- a French member of a contractor consortium in ICC arbitration against a European government arising from the construction of a major rail infrastructure project
- an oil and gas exploration and production company in litigation against co-licensees arising out of the chartering of a floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) vessel
- an industrial manufacturer in ICC arbitration against its US agent operating in China
Dan is an alumnus of University College London (UCL). He trained at Pinsent Masons and qualified into its commercial disputes team. After over eight years at the firm, he moved to the leading arbitration practice at White & Case where he remained for a number of years before joining Stewarts in April 2019.
Accreditations and Memberships
Dan is a member of various arbitration and industry associations.
Contributed to a chapter in The Law and Business of LNG (3rd ed.) (2017).
Dan enjoys music, cycling, computing and travelling. He is often found chasing after his mischievous dachshund, Dudley.