Dan has acted for and against corporates, investors, high net worth individuals and States, including State-owned entities. His practice is international and he has advised clients across the oil & gas, technology, construction, healthcare, transport, infrastructure, automotive, mining, power, manufacturing, insurance, shipping, hospitality and consumer retail sectors.
Dan has a focus on disputes connected with Africa and his recent activities have involved Cameroon, Nigeria, Ghana, Tanzania, Côte d’Ivoire, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea and Botswana. He also has a significant experience of advising on disputes arising within the Middle East.
Dan has particular expertise in the oil & gas industry. He has acted in matters involving IOCs, NOCs, independents and service providers across the upstream-to-downstream lifecycle. His experience includes disputes connected with PSA/PSCs, JOAs, FPSOs, Operator liabilities, marketing & distributorship, oil services, post-M&A claims and large construction projects.
Dan has conducted arbitrations under a variety of governing laws and pursuant to many of the major institutional rules, as well as under ad hoc arrangements. He has experience of English court litigation, investment treaty arbitration and forms of alternative dispute resolution (ADR), including mediation and expert determination. Dan also accepts appointments as arbitrator.
Dan is active in the arbitration community and is both a regular speaker and author in the field. He is a passionate supporter of capacity-building initiatives across the African continent and the annual Vis Moot competition. Dan is an expert in legal technology, including in respect of eDisclosure, and is a senior member of Stewarts’ in-house Litigation Technology Committee.
A selection of Dan’s experience includes advising:
- a Qatari corporate in LCIA arbitration in connection with supplies of LNG into Ghana
- a West African petroleum distributor in UNCITRAL 1976 arbitration against an oil and gas supermajor in connection with the purchase of regional assets and related tax issues
- a Ghanaian telecoms provider in LCIA arbitration against an Indian global IT consultancy
- a Saudi Arabian oilfield services provider in respect of a manufacturing joint venture dispute and in ICC arbitration in connection with disputed territorial rights to seismic exploration
- a global IT services and solutions provider in major ad hoc arbitration against the UK Government in connection with the NHS Connecting for Health national programme
- a French member of a contractor consortium in ICC arbitration against a European government arising from a FIDIC Silverbook contract for the construction of a rail infrastructure project
- an oil and gas supermajor in respect of various claims and issues referable to ICC arbitration arising in connection with its participating interests in a US$ multi-billion mega LNG project
- a consortium of investors in respect of a BIT claim against a Central Asian State arising in connection with the alleged unlawful expropriation of gold mining licences and related assets
- a high net worth individual in respect of various claims against an oil and gas supermajor arising in connection with a number of investments brokered with a Middle Eastern State
- an oil and gas exploration and production company in litigation between co-licensees and operator in respect of a charter of a floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) vessel
- an industrial manufacturer in ICC arbitration against its US agent operating in China
Dan is listed as a future leader in international arbitration by GAR’s Who’s Who Legal.
He is recognised by Legal 500 as “…an exceptional talent. Extremely fast in working up and working out a case. Prescient understanding of how tribunals are going to decide issues. A great team leader and shines under extreme pressure”.
Other recognition includes Dan being described as “a lawyer par excellence” and “a true expert in international arbitration”.
Dan is an alumnus of University College London (UCL). He trained at Pinsent Masons and qualified into its disputes team. After over eight years at the firm, he moved to the leading arbitration practice at White & Case for a number of years before joining Stewarts in 2019.
Publications and media
Dan is a regular publisher of content relevant to his areas of focus. He was a contributor to a chapter in The Law and Business of LNG (3rd ed.).
A selection of Dan’s recent speaking engagements includes:
- Making virtual hearings work, Attorney-General of Lagos State workshop
- Award of interest in international arbitration, CIArb (Nigeria) annual conference
- eDiscovery challenges and opportunities in 2020, NUIX EMEA Autumn User Forum
- Africa and International Arbitration, African Arbitration Association ‘conversation series’
- New Era: Arbitration Act 2020, Tanzania Institute of Arbitrators’ annual conference
- Third party funding and arbitration, CDR Autumn Arbitration Symposium
- Arbitration practice in the era of disruption, Africa Arbitration Academy
Accreditations and Memberships
Dan is a member of various arbitration and industry associations.
Dan enjoys music, cycling, computing and travelling. He is often found chasing after his mischievous dachshund, Dudley.