James works for overseas and domestic corporates, high net worth individuals and national governments and their agencies. He assists them to achieve their commercial objectives by bringing or defending arbitration claims.
James has worked on arbitrations conducted under the rules of the LCIA, the SCC, the ICC, the SAC and the LMAA. He also assists clients with arbitration-related litigation mandates before the English High Court and Court of Appeal, and has significant experience of advising in commercial litigation matters before the English High Court.
James’s work regularly includes risk advice for clients looking to avoid, mitigate or control dispute risk. He has experience in placement of third party funding arrangements and detailed cost budgeting.
James’s experience includes:
- Assisting a Nigerian oil and gas corporate in English Commercial Court and Court of Appeal proceedings in relation to arbitration-related anti-suit injunctive and related relief, as well as assisting in the related US$1bn+ arbitration claims (ICC, English/Nigerian law, London).
- Acting for a Latin American corporate in a multi-million pound ICC arbitration (English law, London).
- Successfully defending an £11m High Court claim brought against a prominent property development firm. Achieved discontinuance of the claim and an order for the client’s entire costs in the action.
- Acting in a multi-million dollar SAC arbitration for a continental European government claimant against an Indian corporate in breach of a sales contract due to non-payment for services rendered (English law, Zurich).
- Provided risk advice for a Scandinavian investment fund mandated to invest in infrastructure (primarily energy) in African emerging markets .
- Aiding a prominent City executive in his LCIA arbitration claim against two former business partners (English law, London).
James studied at the Universities of Glasgow and York. He completed the GDL and the LPC at the University of Law.
Prior to training with Stewarts, James worked in the Education sector (for a HE/FE performing arts institution) and for a boutique capital project fundraising consultancy.
Accreditations and memberships
James is a member of the LCIA’s Young International Arbitration Group.
Publications and Media
James plays classical trombone, mostly in symphony orchestras. He also loves cinema, visual art, long-distance walking, and half marathons.