James’s third seat was with the International Arbitration department, assisting the team on its matters. He worked for clients (overseas corporates, individuals and national governments) in their on-going arbitrations under the Rules of the LCIA, the SCC, and the SCAI. He also assisted the team in its risk-advisory work for clients, and assisted on two High Court litigation proceedings.
Prior to that, he worked in the expanding Tax Litigation department, assisting on a variety of cases including professional negligence cases with a tax advice element and tax appeal cases before the First-tier Tribunal (Tax).
James’s first seat was with the Clinical Negligence department, assisting that team in its efforts to obtain compensation for clients who have suffered life-changing injuries as a result of medical negligence.
As a paralegal James assisted the Employment Department in advising mostly senior City individuals in dispute with their employers, with instruction ranging from strategically negotiated exits to full-blown litigation in the Employment Tribunal and the High Court.
He has also worked in the Competition Litigation department in pursuing “follow-on” damages in the High Court against companies infringing Decisions by the European Commission.
James’s experience includes assisting on the following matters:
- A LCIA arbitration for respondent client in the Middle East (on-going).
- A SCAI arbitration for a national government claimant client against an Asian corporate in breach of a sales contract due to non-payment for services rendered.
- A LCIA arbitration for a prominent City executive claimant against two former business partners (on-going).
- Risk-advisory work for a standalone investment fund, mandated to invest in infrastructure in emerging markets (primarily in the energy sector).
- A professional negligence case against an accountancy firm for its poor tax advice to a client during the complex re-structuring of its business.
- A claim for Judicial Review against an HMRC decision regarding the landfill tax treatment of titanium dioxide reaction waste, as well as working on an associated tax appeal to the First-tier Tribunal.
- A professional negligence claim on behalf of a client against professional advisers regarding a Funded Unapproved Retirement Benefits Scheme.
- Assisting on the early stages of tax appeals to the First-tier Tribunal regarding VAT claims.
- Two liability-only trials in clinical negligence, both before the High Court.
- Three Joint Settlement Meetings, all of which resulted in a compromise of the claim to each client’s satisfaction.
- A high-profile chief executive’s unfair dismissal claim in the Employment Tribunal (and associated High Court claims).
- A senior financial services executive’s whistle-blowing claim in the Employment Tribunal.
- The interchange litigation in the High Court against MasterCard and Visa.
- High Court proceedings against manufacturers of CRT and LCD screens brought by a global electronics manufacturer.
James studied History and Philosophy at the University of Glasgow and Medieval History at the University of York. He completed the GDL and the LPC at the University of Law, Bloomsbury.
Prior to joining Stewarts James worked in the Education sector (for a HE/FE performing arts institution) and for a boutique capital project fundraising consultancy.
James plays the trombone in a variety of styles for various ensembles. He also enjoys cinema, visual art, hill-walking and half marathons.