James previously worked in Clinical Negligence department as a trainee solicitor, assisting that team in its efforts to obtain compensation for clients who have suffered life-changing injuries as a result of medical negligence.
Before that, he assisted Tim Spillane and Richard Nicolle to advise senior City individuals in dispute with their employers, with instruction ranging from strategically negotiated exits to full-blown litigation in the Employment Tribunal and the High Court.
He has also worked in the Competition Litigation department in pursuing “follow-on” damages in the High Court against companies infringing Decisions by the European Commission.
James’s experience includes assisting on the following matters:
- Two liability-only trials in clinical negligence, both before the High Court.
- Three Joint Settlement Meetings, all of which resulted in a compromise of the claim to each client’s satisfaction.
- A high-profile chief executive’s unfair dismissal claim in the Employment Tribunal (and associated High Court claims).
- A senior financial services executive’s whistle-blowing claim in the Employment Tribunal.
- The interchange litigation in the High Court against MasterCard and Visa.
- High Court proceedings against manufacturers of CRT and LCD screens brought by a global electronics manufacturer.
James studied History and Philosophy at the University of Glasgow and Medieval History at the University of York. He completed the GDL and the LPC at the University of Law, Bloomsbury.
Prior to joining Stewarts James worked in the Education sector (for a HE/FE performing arts institution) and for a boutique capital project fundraising consultancy.
James plays the trombone in a variety of styles for various ensembles. He also enjoys cinema, visual art, hill-walking and half marathons.