James’s relevant experience includes the following:
- A LCIA arbitration for a respondent corporate, based in the Middle East.
- A SCAI arbitration for a national government claimant against an Asian corporate in breach of a sales contract due to non-payment for services rendered.
- A LCIA arbitration for a prominent City executive claimant against two former business partners.
- Risk-advisory work for a standalone investment fund, mandated to invest in infrastructure in emerging markets (primarily in the energy sector).
- A professional negligence claim against an accountancy firm for its poor tax advice to a client during the complex re-structuring of its business.
- A claim for Judicial Review against an HMRC decision regarding the landfill tax treatment of titanium dioxide reaction waste, as well as working on an associated tax appeal to the First-tier Tribunal.
- A professional negligence claim on behalf of a client against professional advisers regarding a Funded Unapproved Retirement Benefits Scheme.
- A high-profile chief executive’s unfair dismissal claim in the Employment Tribunal (and associated High Court claims).
- The interchange litigation in the High Court against MasterCard and Visa (recently subject to an appeal to the Supreme Court, which found in our clients’ favour).
James has worked for overseas and domestic corporates, individuals and national governments in arbitrations under the Rules of the LCIA, the SCC, and the SCAI.
He has also assisted parties bringing claims in the High Court, the First-tier Tribunal (Tax), the Administrative Court, and the Employment Tribunal.
A portion of James’s work involves risk-advisory advice for clients, often before the commencement of a formal dispute process.
James studied History and Philosophy at the University of Glasgow and Medieval History at the University of York. He completed the GDL and the LPC at the University of Law.
Prior to joining Stewarts James worked in the Education sector (for a HE/FE performing arts institution) and for a boutique capital project fundraising consultancy.
James qualified in September 2020.
James plays the trombone in a variety of styles for various ensembles. He also loves cinema, visual art, long-distance walking and half marathons.