In Episode 5 of Season Two of the Stewarts Divorce and Family Podcast, we take an initial look at the financial claims available in respect of a child when the parents are unmarried. Schedule 1 is a section of the Children Act which gives the court power to make orders for financial provision for the benefit of children.
Questions answered in this episode include:
- Is the financial provision available through a Schedule 1 application the same as that available through divorce?
- Can lump sum payments be used to equalise assets, and can orders be made to cover retrospective payments?
- How are housing and maintenance claims handled under Schedule 1?
- How does a client obtain an order under Schedule 1?
- What options are available if the parties do not agree and cannot progress matters amicably?
More Divorce and Family Podcast
Season Two of the Stewarts Divorce and Family Podcast is underway, with the ten-episode season concluding in 2023. The latest episodes are available now to listen to below as well as on all leading podcast hosting platforms including Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Amazon, Google Podcasts, Stitcher and Deezer.
Season One of the podcast is now available to listen to in full, and covers topics including finances in a separation, what to expect in court, common mistakes that can be avoided and co-parenting after a separation.
The Stewarts Divorce and Family Podcast is hosted by partner Sam Longworth, senior associate Jenny Bowden and associate Tim Carpenter. Each episode features other leading lawyers from our team and covers a wide range of topics to help individuals, advisors and others understand and navigate the many issues that can arise between a couple on separation.
Our team also discusses the introduction of no-fault divorce in a special episode, discussing the significant changes to divorce in 2022 and why these changes matter to separating couples.
You can find further information regarding our expertise, experience and team on our Divorce and Family pages.
Subscribe – In order to receive our news straight to your inbox, subscribe here. Our newsletters are sent no more than once a month.