Emma advises on complex and often high profile matters for high net worth individuals, their families and partners. Her cases typically involve an international dimension and she often works in coordination with other cross-border trusted advisers, particularly in offshore jurisdictions and America.
Emma has a breadth of experience in all areas of family breakdown but with particular focus on the associated financial issues. She has expertise in jurisdictional disputes, enforcement and injunctive relief. The majority of Emma’s cases involve global assets in the range of £10 million to over £100 million, and concern asset tracing, trust structures, inherited wealth and owner-controlled businesses.
Emma advises regularly in negotiating and drafting pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements, both in a domestic and international context.
Emma has a leading practice in all private law children matters, especially international relocation.
Although Emma is proud of a proven track record for discretion and achieving a negotiated settlement in most cases, she has been pivotally involved in a number of reported cases including the landmark relocation case Re C , where she successfully represented the mother.
Recent cases include:
- Advising family office on an ultra-high net worth ($1b) international prenuptial agreement coordinating advice in Middle East, USA and Cayman.
- Advising wife of co-founder of private equity firm in case involving substantial assets held through complex corporate structures across several jurisdictions as well as an extensive fine art collection. Significant issues regarding illiquidity and post separation accrual.
- Representing successful British entrepreneur in litigation involving wealth of £400m with issues of premarital wealth/latent value of business interests and Special Contribution.
- Advising a business associate of the husband in a high net worth matter involving substantial assets held through complex corporate structures across several jurisdictions to defend claims made by the wife as to the beneficial interest of shares in his legal name and/or held by companies under his control.
- Advising mother in international paternity and relocation proceedings, including to defend allegations of child abduction.
- Advising father in case involving parental alienation and allegations of coercive control.
Emma is recognised as one of only a handful of ‘Star Individuals’ in Chambers & Partners, having been ranked in the Legal Directories for 18 years. She has been acclaimed as Family Lawyer of the Year by Spear’s Wealth Management.
Chambers High Net Worth Guide 2022:
- “Emma is one of the best lawyers of her generation. She is exceptional with clients, has fantastic judgement and can see around corners.”
- “She is the leading matrimonial lawyer of her generation. She is the perfect combination of intellect and commercial pragmatism.”
- “Universally respected by the profession and she draws clients in like a magnet because of her huge talent, her engaging personality and her impeccable reputation.”
Emma read Law at Cambridge University. She joined Stewarts in 2009 from Withers and has over 25 years’ experience in complex family work.
As a trained Mediator and Collaborative Lawyer, Emma is passionate about Alternative Dispute Resolution where it is suitable for the case.
Accreditations and Memberships
Emma has been a Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers (IAFL) since 2008 and is currently President Elect of the European Chapter.
Emma is a proud member of Resolution and the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals.
Publications and Media
Emma has regularly commented on topical family law issues in the media, including appearances on BBC, ITN and Sky News and interviews on Radio 5 and Talkradio.
Emma has been recommended in a Tatler magazine feature on top divorce lawyers in London and is included in the Tatler Address Book. Emma was legal advisor to the BBC divorce drama, The Split.
Recent publications include:
With London on her doorstep Emma regularly enjoys the theatre and trying new eateries with friends but nothing beats being with her family and dog in Cornwall or running by the Thames for some me- time. Further afield Emma has always been an avid traveller and enjoys experiencing other cultures and cuisine.
"They have star performers, strength in depth and the support of first-class supporting departments. That's the mark of a top-tier firm"Chambers High Net Worth