Our expertise in banking and financial disputes
We are widely recognised as the “go to” law firm for litigation against the major banks. The firm’s expertise has been acknowledged by The Legal 500 and Chambers, and cases in which the firm acts are regularly reported in the press.
Our banking lawyers have a successful record in some of the highest profile and most complex banking disputes. Our banking litigation expertise encompasses acting in cases involving, and advising on, numerous banking instruments and facilities.
Our UK and overseas clients
Our clients are UK and overseas listed companies and multi-nationals, hedge funds, and other smaller financial institutions, professionals and high net worth individuals.
Banking and financial disputes cases
- A settlement for a large number of institutional investors in a group litigation claim against RBS relating to its rights issue of April 2008. RBS agreed to pay up to £800m to various shareholder groups. Our team represented more than 300 institutional investors in the litigation.
- €52m landmark judgment on behalf of a group of city bankers against Commerzbank over unpaid bonuses.
- A settlement for private Irish investors against a well known American investment bank following a $20m bond sale.
- Acting for the liquidators of Chesterfield in relation to a loan from Kaupthing Bank hf to Chesterfield used to buy $500m of Credit Linked Notes.
- Acting in a major group claim in the Commercial Court in London against Barclays Partner Finance.
- Acting for mezzanine lenders in regard to a restructure involving duties of a security trustee appointed under loan documentation.
"If someone wanted to take on the banks, Stewarts would be my first port of call. They have high-quality people there and are innovative in terms of funding"Chambers
"We find them excellent in terms of their tactical and strategic approach to running the case"Chambers
"They work hand in glove with you and can compete with the big firms"Chambers
Meet the Commercial Litigation team
Our team has the size and experience to handle heavyweight litigation.
Many of our cases are international in scope and all of our lawyers are experienced in conducting cross-border disputes.
Covid-19: Navigating the legal challenges
Covid-19 is impacting individuals and companies around the world in an unprecedented way. The insights collected here will help you navigate the key legal issues you may be facing at this time.