We represent claimants and interested parties in complex judicial reviews and regulatory challenges.
Any decision made by a public body must comply with the law and adhere to the relevant procedures. If it fails to do so redress can be sought through judicial review where a court is asked to examine the lawfulness of the decision made. This mechanism seeks to ensure that bodies exercising public law functions do not abuse their powers.
We act for domestic and multinational corporations, individuals and public entities seeking to overturn a decision where a public authority has failed to comply with its legal obligations. We are always mindful of the importance to our clients of preserving their relationships with government and other public bodies.
Our lawyers have a successful track record of acting in judicial review matters, including two challenges that proceeded to the Supreme Court.
Our experience spans a wide range of sectors, including financial services, tax, media, health and retail. We have brought challenges against the Advertising Standards Authority, HMRC, the UK government and local authorities. Many of our cases involve human rights and EU law.
Our unrivalled expertise in litigation funding and innovative costs arrangements enables our clients to proceed with cases off balance sheet and from a position of financial strength.
The following are a few of the cases that our lawyers have handled over recent years:
- Acting in The Prudential Privilege Judicial Review from its issue in the Administrative Division of the High Court to the Court of Appeal and ultimately to the Supreme Court
- Representing the States of Jersey in an urgent judicial review challenging the abolition of “low-value consignment relief” from the Channel Islands
- Acting for Imperial Tobacco and Japan Tobacco in a judicial review of the government’s application of the EU Tobacco Products Directive II
- Representing Messrs Shiner and Sheinmann in their judicial review against the UK government’s introduction of primary tax legislation
- Acting in a judicial review relating to a contract for the purchase of bodycams against the Metropolitan Police
- Acting in a judicial review following the award of a government IT framework agreement
"We find them excellent in terms of their tactical and strategic approach to running the case"Chambers
"Experienced, innovative, knowledgeable, responsive, energetic, committed and cutting edge"Chambers and The Legal 500
"They work hand in glove with you and can compete with the big firms"Chambers
Meet the Judicial Review team
Our lawyers have a successful track record of acting in judicial review matters spanning a wide range of sectors, including financial services, tax, media, health and retail.
All our partners have experience in coordinating proceedings in multiple jurisdictions to enable our clients to take a cross border approach to litigation.
Covid-19: Navigating the legal challenges
Covid-19 is impacting individuals and companies around the world in an unprecedented way. The insights collected here will help you navigate the key legal issues you may be facing at this time.