- Acting for two shipbuilding companies in a multi-million USD UNCITRAL investment treaty arbitration against a Latin American State.
- Acting at ICSID for a UK national in a multi-million USD investment treaty arbitration against a Latin American State.
- Acting for a UK investor in the oil & gas sector in three ICSID investment treaty arbitrations against a West African State.
- Acting for a solar PV investor in a multi-million USD Energy Charter Treaty claim against a European State.
- Acting for a European investor in its third party involvement in an Energy Charter Treaty claim against a European State.
- Acting for an investor in the chemical industry in an investment treaty dispute against a Central European State.
- Acting for a European State in a 1bn+ Euro Energy Charter Treaty claim pursued by multiple European claimants in relation to an alleged investment in the solar energy sector.
- Acting for a European State in an investment treaty claim under the Energy Charter Treaty arising from legal reforms in the renewable energy sector.
- Acting for a European State in two ICSID investment treaty arbitrations brought by two European banks.
- Acting for a Caribbean State in an ICSID investment treaty arbitration involving a claim brought by a developer of a five-star hotel resort.
- Acting for two Eastern European companies in an investment treaty arbitration concerning a South American mine against a European State. The claim was pursued under the UNCITRAL Rules before the PCA.
- Acting for Kuwaiti investors on an ICSID investment treaty arbitration against a Middle Eastern State.
- Acting for a major European telecommunications company in relation to an investment treaty arbitration against a State. The claim was pursued under the UNCITRAL Rules.
- Advising an airline in relation to a potential investment treaty claim arising from the imposition of aviation-related fines by an African State.
- Advising several European renewable energy investors in relation to potential investment treaty claims against a European State.
- Considering a construction company’s potential ICSID investment treaty claim against a Central Asian State.
- Advising US investors in a bilateral investment treaty claim (and claims under domestic investment laws) against the Arab Republic of Egypt.
- Advising British and US investors in respect of potential bilateral investment treaty claims against Mongolia in connection with licences for the mining of natural resources.
Dispute prevention work
- Advising investors in Latin America, including mining companies, on restructuring their businesses under relevant investment treaties.
- Advising a US OTC-listed company on structuring future investments in an Asian State.
- Advising an Australian-listed minerals company on structuring future investments in a European State.
English Court proceedings related to investment treaty arbitration
- Acting for a State in an application to set aside an English High Court order to enforce an award in respect of a dispute arising from an intra-EU bilateral investment treaty.
- Acting for an Asian government in English court proceedings defending a section 67 challenge to an UNCITRAL tribunal’s dismissal of jurisdiction under a bilateral investment treaty.
Some of the experience described is that of members of the International Arbitration team prior to their joining Stewarts.
A groundbreaking after the event (ATE) insurance facility for our commercial disputes clients.
Stewarts Litigate provides our commercial disputes clients with rapid access to comprehensive ATE insurance at pre-agreed market leading rates.
This communication has been authorised by Arthur J Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited for the purpose of s21 of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000
"Stewarts' dynamic team regularly advises clients in the oil and gas, commodity trading and shipping and automotive industries in arbitrations"The Legal 500
Meet the International Arbitration team
Our team is highly ranked in both leading independent legal directories, Chambers and The Legal 500.
Our lawyers have extensive experience of cases seated in London and other arbitral centres around the world.