We have acted for some of the leading businesses across the creative industries, including in the media, fashion, retail and technology sectors.
We litigate IP rights, including copyright, trade marks, passing off/unfair competition, design rights and confidential information.
Our team has conducted various multi-jurisdictional disputes across Europe and beyond, including at national intellectual property offices and courts as well as the EUIPO and EU Court of Justice.
Our lawyers’ experience includes:
- Strategic multi-jurisdictional advice in relation to copyright and trade mark infringement, including in relation to media and e-commerce
- Copyright infringement disputes relating to, in particular, photographs and audio-visual content
- Trade mark infringement and validity proceedings, in particular within the fashion retail sector
- Comparative advertising disputes in the UK courts and before the UK’s advertising watchdog, the Advertising Standards Authority
- Design and copyright disputes, in particular in the fashion sector
- Advising on preventing the sale of counterfeits
- TV format rights disputes
- Advising on the protection of rights in the cosmetics industry
- Advising on the interface between IP rights and other legal specialisms, including competition law
We have unrivalled experience in putting together innovative costs arrangements. The use of third party funding, after-the-event insurance and risk-sharing fee agreements enables our clients to manage risk and litigate from a position of financial strength.
In addition to conducting litigation in the UK, our lawyers coordinate claims in overseas jurisdictions, when necessary working alongside specialist law firms around the world.
"They work hand in glove with you and can compete with the big firms"Chambers
"Stewarts has a go-to commercial litigation practice with strength in a number of fields"The Legal 500
"We find them excellent in terms of their tactical and strategic approach to running the case"Chambers
Meet our Media Disputes team
Our team are experts in the media sector. We act in disputes relating to film, television, broadcasting, publishing, music, digital and traditional media, advertising and content distribution.
Our team comprises some of the UK’s leading media disputes lawyers.