We act for leading businesses and individuals across the creative industries, including in the traditional and digital media, film, music, publishing, recording, fashion, retail, design and technology sectors.
We litigate IP rights, such as copyright, moral rights, trade marks, passing off/unfair competition, and design rights. We also act in disputes relating to confidential information.
Our team conducts matters in the UK and throughout the world. In addition, it coordinates multi-jurisdictional disputes with foreign law firms and specialists.
Our lawyers’ experience includes:
- Strategic multi-jurisdictional advice and representation in relation to IP infringements
- Copyright infringement disputes relating to, in particular, photographs, graphics, text, music, videos, literary works, software, and visual content
- Trade mark infringement cases
- Advertising disputes, including before the Advertising Standards Authority
- Design rights disputes
- TV format rights disputes
- Advising on the protection of rights in the cosmetics industry
- Advising on the interface between IP rights and other legal specialisms
We act for both claimants and defendants.
We have unrivalled experience in putting together innovative costs arrangements. The use of third party funding, after-the-event insurance and risk-sharing fee agreements enable our clients to manage risk and litigate from a position of financial strength.
"They work hand in glove with you and can compete with the big firms"Chambers
"Stewarts has a go-to commercial litigation practice with strength in a number of fields"The Legal 500
"We find them excellent in terms of their tactical and strategic approach to running the case"Chambers
Meet our Media Disputes team
Our team are experts in the media sector.
We deal with matters in the UK courts and in foreign jurisdictions, as well as in relation to complaints made to UK regulators.